Sunday 15 January 2017

Kitchen decluttering and some sketches

The heat has been unbearable! I always find it hard to breathe when the heat and humidity get so high. Not sure if it's due to having asthma but it sure saps my energy.

I have been doing the daily sketches - some quite simple, some more detailed. If you missed my last lot of sketches, you can check the post out HERE.

The sketches below are the last two I photographed. I still have today's sketch to finish and take a photo of. First up is a special doggy comb I use for removing mats in fur. Cody's coat was getting quite long, and I felt sorry for him in this heat, so out came the scissors and combs. It takes me two hours to trim him back with scissors but I don't own dog clippers and it had to be done.  I'm sure he is much more comfortable now.


A quick ballpoint pen sketch of the big Buddha head I have in my lounge room

I'm linking up to Sunday Sketches again. To see the work of other participants for this week, click HERE.

Despite the horrible heat and humidity, I got stuck into decluttering my kitchen today. It felt so good to get rid of stuff I no longer use or want. I was amazed at how much stuff had long passed the Best Before dates mainly because things were pushed to the back when new things were added. The cupboards look so much neater now. I also down-sized on the amount of containers, crockery, and cutlery we had. I'm loving the more minimalist approach.




I could feel my back starting to grumble after all the decluttering so I will have to rest up a bit. I still have my art studio to tackle but all in good time.  

We had a good, heavy lot of rain earlier but it hasn't really helped cool things down at all. I hope we get some relief from the heat soon. 

Happy Sunday to all! 

13 comments:


  1. Fallingladies16 January 2017 at 02:06
    (Can't even imagine heat when we are so cold here). I should be decluttering as well, my cupboards really need it. Love all your sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sketches, Serena. Thanks for sharing. We decluttered quite a bit last summer and I can't tell you how much freer our home feels. Lighter and more joyful! Good luck with all that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I do love a good de-cluttering session. Nothing feels quite as good. I went back a few posts and looked at all your sketches for the year so far, and they are great. I really love the one of the stone circle in the wetlands park. Beautiful, and so tranquil looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great sketches! glad you found time to make some art ... sounds like you've been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sketches, they are beautiful. I'm sure your pup is much happier now. I very much need to declutter, but I tend to put it off and off again...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Serena, I love how you sketch everything around you, whatever's nearby - a great attitude and always interesting to see what you've done next ! I like your style :D)
    How refreshing it is to have a clean-out in the kitchen especially. So easy to put a peg on it (yay for that idea, they serve many purposes eh!), and store - for ages.
    Sending you some cooler air, but even we down south are experiencing a much hotter summer already. Cheerio till next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. really hope you and Cody ar ok and the heat doesn't get any worse

    I really need to get rid of some of the containers we have with no lids, no idea why we still have them lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you're doing daily sketches. I'm trying to sketch, draw, and paint a LOT more this year! Happy Sunday Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What I would do to curl up on an armchair with a coffee and one of your sketchbooks to browse through... I just find your pages so fascinating! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure Cody felt loads better after his haircut. I hope your Summer heat doesn't get as bad this year as it can some years, and that you're able to find plenty of ways to keep from suffering from it too much.

    I always make a point of pulling old stuff to the front, and putting new stuff behind it in the cupboards, that way I can generally avoid the issue of things having past their sell-by or use-by dates.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel for you! Sometimes the rain only adds to the humidity. You are still getting a lot done--wow! Sketching and purging!

    I learned about putting new stuff in the back from when I worked in a grocery store. It was a good habit to keep at home, too. (I also "face" everything on the shelves, too--LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heat and rain good for the garden but it makes up hot and sticky, not the best.
    You remind me I must clean out my kitchen cupboards
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
  13. It always amazes me how much we collect things without meaning to. I too had to declutter my kitchen and was amazed to find things I had bought but never used.

    ReplyDelete