Monday 12 March 2012

A crazy week, a self portrait, a sketch and orangutans!

Another crazy week has passed which is why I haven't been around much.

I had three migraines!

Aaron broke his arm at high school on Wednesday.
Some kid managed to kick his arm into a pole when they were playing.
It was an accident and they feel really bad about it.
Aaron's arm is now in a cast for six weeks which he's not too happy about.
It was his writing hand too but, thankfully, the school are supplying him with a laptop to use in class.

My Pre-Op appointment didn't go too well either.
My blood pressure was through the roof despite me already being on blood pressure medication and this had the anaesthetist quite concerned. I'm booked in to have a Stress Echo-cardiogram done on Wednesday as she wants to clear any problems that could arise during my surgery on the 22nd.  Admittedly, my Pre-Op appointment was on the same day I was running Aaron back and forth for his arm so I did have a stressful day.  I hope my surgery won't have to be postponed as I'd rather get it dealt with and out of the way.



WEEK 10 - 52 weeks of ME 2012 self portrait challenge

I saw one of our Aussie actresses, Cornelia Francis, on SUNRISE this past weekend.  She is now the Australian ambassador for the Save The Orangutan project in Borneo.  Orangutans are our closest living relatives in the animal world. They share 97% of our DNA....so interesting. These amazing animals are now critically endangered because their rainforest habitats are being flattened to make way for Palm Oil plantations. Sadly, the almighty dollar comes first yet again.

Please help if you can ~


I paid tribute to this critically endangered species in my large Moleskine sketchbook.

Drawn directly in ink pen and only used graphite pencil to shade a little here and there.
Reference image is credited to Daniel Kleeman at Flickr.

I sure hope your week was better than mine.



~ Love, light and peace ~

24 comments:

  1. Oh, Serena, I am so sorry you had such a rough week. Both the self portrait and the sketch are lovely. Happy Monday, and here's to a much better week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, Serena... what a week! I hope you & Aaron will both be doing better. :o) LOVE the orangutan...It is enormously sad to consider how their habitat is being destroyed to make palm oil, which ironically is bad for us to eat long term. :o/ Sending some uplifting vibes your way ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~~Quick healing vibes for Aaron~~ Hope it´s not too difficult for him to move around. How cool of his school to help like that.

    That orangutan is the sweetest ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending good vibes ~~~.
    Stay inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that about Aaron. I hope he heals quickly. I once read that drum beats helped bones heal so when my son broke both arms in 6th grade, after the casts came off he took up drumming - to help strengthen the bones...at my suggestion. I'm not sure if it worked or not but he could play the drums good after awhile.

    Love that sketch..

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sorry for your dreadful week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a hard week!! For you and Aaron. Despite that, you look gorgeous in that photo! :)
    Love your sketch of the orangutan. Such a shame that money still takes precedent over life. That's changing, but slowly.
    I hope this is a much better week and you won't have your surgery postponed! Sending love and hugs and positive energy!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and Aaron had quite a week! I hope things smooth out for you soon and that you can go forward with the surgery as planned.

    As always, you've captured another wonderful creature in your sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope Aaron's arm heals quickly, and also that your surgery doesn't have to be postponed. Maybe try a bit of claming meditation just before your appointment? Just a thought!

    I love orangs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Serena Lewis!

    You used to follow my blog called "SarahAnneDipity". But now I have switched over to my new MAIN blog called "Bella Bliss". Come and have a peek at it if you would like!

    I enjoy looking at your drawings!

    Ciao Bella!

    *Bella Bliss*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I AM ALSO YOUR 200th FOLLOWER!

    Congrats to you for such a BIG number!

    Ciao Bella!

    Bella Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope your next week is better. Nice blog. You might like to see my post about the Picasso exhibition in Sydney. It finishes on the 25th March. http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/picasso-exhibition-art-gallery-of-new.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. so sorry to hear about your week Serena...blessing and good will to you and your family..

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love that orangutan drawing.... love your handwriting too!
    on another note, I am so sorry you're dealing with these things in life right now. ((heartfelt hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that is one tough week, Serena. Let's hope you are able to get the surgery out of the way soon. Lovely self portrait. Would not have believed you were suffering migraines from that sweet picture!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The orang-utan in the last post was amazing and this one is also... such amazing eyes... as to the other stuff... poor poor you... I hate weeks like that and fingers crossed everything will start to fall back into a normal rhythm and you can be healthy again soon... sending lots of positive thoughts your way and crossing fingers and toes that the migraines stay away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry to hear about your bumpy week and ouch to the broken arm!! Ugh. Hugs Your portait is lovely - must be the reflection of your heart within! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, for goodness sake, things MUST get better from here on out!!! What a week. I sure hope everything improves and you can have your surgery on schedule. Praying for you and Aaron!!!!!!!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  19. ouch!! poor guy!
    hope that you get the go ahead from the anaesthesiologist, don't want to have to reschedule something like that

    ReplyDelete
  20. Serena, sounds like you hit a bit of a rough patch.
    Sorry to hear about your son's broken arm too! Poor kid... i do hope things look up for you.
    Another beautiful illustration - so touching... yes, unfortunately, the almighty dollar almost always wins. But let's continue to step in whenever we can. :-) I am sending good vibes your way. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry about Aaron's arm. ::ouch:: Wow, what a stressful week for you. Love your Organatun. Beautiful work. I love these all knowing creatures. Thanks for sharing. Hope things get better for you.::hugs::

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a bugger being ill can be. I did battle with high BP in the high humidity of FNQ. Hope your way will be smooth sailing soon.

    Palm oil is such a destroyer of habitat. At Perth Zoo they have a fantastic orang breeding and rehab program - the keeers are very passionate about it.

    Onwards and upwards!

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a crappy week you guys have had...... sending some hugs.....

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a week you had- and you found time to make such a wonderful sketch and do the 52 weeks of me challenge. Good luck on the 22nd!

    ReplyDelete